Available on Amazon.com and Createspace.com!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Rachel Robbins, J Rêve International LLC
(646) 535-0594, email@example.com
STEAM+ Arts Integration Book Released
on Arts Education, Advocacy, and The Future of Education
WASHINGTON, D.C., August 25, 2017 — The J Rêve International STEAM+ Arts Integration anthology book champions arts education as a critical part of the learning process. To further that goal, 12 contributing authors in the STEM, STEAM and Arts fields from across the USA and abroad have shared their insights and practical applications in the 192-page text that debuted at the organization’s conference in Washington, DC in July 2017.
STEAM education is currently a hot and growing topic. On July 20, 2017, the newest addition to the STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art/design, math) legislation was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. Congressman James R. Langevin (D-RI) authored the legislation.
Contributors to the anthology are on the frontlines of STEAM+ Arts Education and include engineers, educators, leaders/founders of STEM education programs, teaching artists, and cultural programmers.
- Engineer Jason Coleman, Founder of Project Syncere in Chicago, an afterschool STEM program, states in his chapter, “A design should be reflective of the environment in which it is placed, and the engineer should be conscientious about the how their work can inspire others.”
- Juliette Harris starts her chapter on engineering and jazz, “As jazz loving STEAM advocates, we associate the word ‘algorithm’ with ‘rhythm.’ The improvisation of great jazz musicians is based on an inventive form of computation
that is extraordinarily imaginative yet logical. John Coltrane’s work from the early to mid-1960s is an acclaimed example.”
- Scarsdale school district STEAM coordinator Lisa Yokana discusses STEM projects that incorporated art themes in her chapter, “Physics students created musical instruments that demonstrated their understanding of resonance. Students across the disciplines made things that showed their mastery of interdisciplinary content.”
The book has already received favorable feedback from educators who attended the July conference. “It is an excellent intro to STEAM+ with research, case studies, and strategies,” says Susan Bardenhagen Region IV Director of Virginia Association of Science Teachers. The book is available on Amazon and a global book tour will commence in October 2017. Selected website visitors will receive one free book monthly.
J Rêve’s educational programs span the globe, reaching students from Senegal, France, India, Dubai, Haiti, Mozambique to the US and beyond. The organization’s STEAM+ initiative emphasizes the importance of education beyond Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). The added “A” and plus sign represent how adding arts to educational programming enriches students in any discipline.
This book provides a solid overview of why STEAM+ learning is important and gives clear examples of how educators can incorporate STEAM+ approaches in their teaching. Examples include program overviews for a more structural look and more specific strategies for individual art forms to get the ideas going for what activities could be designed for the classroom.
The integration of the arts and design principles into the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields makes a lot of sense. It is easy to get hung up on the words that become part of a changing acronym but breaking it down to the core is simple. STEM and art are both about problem solving and creativity – so using the fields together adds value. On page 71 in the book, W.A. Wulf is quoted saying “The psychological literature tells us that creativity is not something that just happens. It is the result of making unexpected connections between things we already know. Hence, creativity depends on our life experiences.”
STEAM+ approaches can provide more opportunities for student success by appealing to multiple learning styles, encouraging creative thinking, and building self-confidence. Many of the case studies in this book highlight ways STEAM+ approaches build skills for collaboration amongst students. There is teamwork, opportunity for leadership, meaningful discussion, and active participation in their own learning. Creating a STEAM+ environment allows for opportunities to grow appreciation for other cultures and to get engaged in our communities. All of these skills that can be supported through STEAM+ approaches help our young people become more successful regardless of their career and life paths.
If you’re new to the idea of STEAM+, this is a great book to start learning. If you’re already on the STEAM+ train, this is a book with lots of resources to add to your library.Sara MacSorley, Founder and Author
Super Cool Scientists, LLC
- This anthology provides a good overview of data and research related to integrating arts into STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) education. Part 1 details the state of arts education while also making the business, societal, and educational cases for arts education and its integration into STEM disciplines. The data, resources, and references shared in Part 1 will help those exploring STEM or STEAM education and arts education in our schools today. Part 2 and 3 of the book provide stories and experiences from those engaged in various aspects of education and STEM-related careers and may provide examples for those engaged in education to explore and consider in their own organizations and programs. For those working to justify the inclusion of arts in STEM education, this anthology will provide references, resources, research, and stories to help make the case.
Director, Cockrell School of Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin
Link to Purchase Book: Amazon.com, Createspace.com
STEAM+ Arts Integration Conference Report: Google Drive
STEAM+ Arts Integration Book Tour Media Kit: Google Drive
STEAM+ Arts Integration Program Website: jrevesteam.com
J Rêve International website: jreveinternational.com
Bios of Anthology Contributors: Google Drive
2017 Conference Information Package: PDF
J Rêve International aims to foster collaboration between interdisciplinary artists, programmers, policy makers and educators on issues relating to development, learning and the implementation of STEAM (STEM+Arts) and arts education. Dedicated to engaging students in STEAM+, J Rêve International has impacted more than 40,000 people in 10 countries including Cuba, Mozambique, Haiti, India, Burkina Faso, France, Dubai and US. They’ve enjoyed a strong relationship with 1000 educators, 50 community partners and schools, 85% k-12 teachers, 15% school administrators, museums and art studios & galleries and supported them since incorporation.
JULY 2017 STEAM+ Arts Integration Conference Collaborators
J Rêve International’s publishing arm, EverArts Publishing, debuted the STEAM+ Arts Integration Conference anthology text at the STEAM+ Arts Integration conference, July 28-30th, at reception hosted by Paul S. Devroaux Memorial Lecture Foundation at the American Institute of Architects where Dr. Christine Mann Darden, famed NASA mathematician, and Hidden Figures book personality gave conference welcome remarks.
SELECT BOOK TALK TOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS: